Amelia arrived Wednesday, May 26th at 12:08 PM. Alex, my mom, and I checked into the hospital at 6 AM for my induction. They got me started immediately on a Pitocin drip and I was having contractions steadily by 7:30, but nothing painful. By 9 AM they were coming every 45-30 sec and strong! I went ahead and got an epidural and was feeling much better by 10 AM.
I told the nurse that I was feeling a lot of pressure, but the doctor had told them to check me at Noon. I sent Alex to eat lunch at 11:30 AM thinking that we would start pushing around 12:30. At ten 'til noon, I told the nurse again that I was feeling a lot of pressure so she finally checked me and....Amelia's head was crowning. Luckily she had already set up the birthing table, warming table, etc. She called for a crew of nurses and called the doctor. The looks on their faces were a bit scary. Especially since we had been joking around with our nurse Shannon about her delivering the baby and she said that was something she had NEVER had to do.
I started calling Alex (yes, I was on the phone when this was all going down) and he didn't pick up! Apparently, his phone was in his pocket and he didn't have service in the cafeteria AND he was busy reading a sailing magazine. If you know Alex, then you know how TYPICAL it is for him not to pick up the phone! He claims that he heard his name over the intercom (message from GOD because nobody called him on the intercom), so he then checked his phone to find several messages and missed calls. He answered the phone when I called again and I told him to get up to the room NOW.
Amelia arrived shortly before Alex was able to make it back, but he was in time to cut the umbilical chord with his sailing magazine under his arm. The doctor arrived after the birth with a very shocked expression on her face. I assured her that Amelia had just decided to come on her own- only one push was needed for the shoulders. I didn't have any tears so the doctor didn't have to do a thing. She said that it was a rare "Precipitous Birth" and to watch out if we have another child. Amelia's birth certificate reads "Physician Not Present; Staff Nurse Delivered."
Amelia was beautiful the second she arrived. The nurses called her the "C-Section" baby because she had a perfectly round head and perfect face. She scored a 9-9 on the Apgar and had the most peaceful cry. She weighed 8 lb 11 oz, 19 1/2 in. long, and 14 1/2 in. head.
I have to say that it was one of the easiest things I've ever done and the recovery has been a breeze. Since Amelia and I were doing so well, my doctor and the pediatrician sent us home Thursday afternoon. Sooo nice to only spend only one night in the hospital and we are loving being back at home with Caroline.
It is so nice to have Amelia at home with us and it's also nice that she finally has a NAME. We chose Amelia because we LOVE it and we chose Frances in honor of Alex's Mom, Bonny Frances. We will keep you posted on the first few days with our new daughter.
Link to Photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=493187024506%3A249390947&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee
1 comment:
Amelia Frances is an absolutely gorgeous name! We are so happy for you!! We look forward to an introduction and are so thrilled that everything went/is going so well. XOXO.
Post a Comment